Saturday, February 25, 2012

"Good Combinations" - Apple & Brie Roll

As I stated in yesterday's blog, my family is a cheese-loving family.  I remember visiting with my dad and watching "Roar" (excellent show, look it up), when we decided that we wanted to enjoy some apples and cheese for a snack.  One of the cheeses we had available was brie.  So we would cut up a few apples and enjoy them with some brie.  It was an interesting, but tasty combination in my opinion.  Since then, it has been our favorite snack whenever I go to visit my parents.  From there, I introduced it to my husband and daughter, and of course, both of them love it as well.  So tonight while I was at the store, I just happened to brainstorm the Apple and Brie Roll.  While on Pinterest a few weeks ago, I had seen a Cheese and Pepperoni Roll recipe that sounded like a good base for this (that recipe can be found here).  So here we go.

Apple & Brie Roll
1 apple (I used Granny Smith)
1 8oz round of Brie
1 pre-packaged Pillsbury French or Italian bread (or you can use your own unbaked bread)


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  You first take your dough and unroll it flat onto your baking sheet.  I recommend you unroll it directly on the baking sheet because otherwise, once the roll is finished, it could be difficult to lift onto the baking sheet without falling apart.


Afterwards, take the brie and remove all the rind.  From there, cut the brie into strips and line them up in rows around the dough.  This will help the cheese melt and spread evenly.


Then it's time to add the apples.  You can use a different type of apple if it appeals to you, I just personally enjoy the Granny Smith with the brie.  You can choose to keep or remove the rind.  You cut the apple into small chunks and spread them around on the bread.  Because of my mild OCD, I personally layered each cheese strip with 2-3 apple chunks and then spread additional apple in between the rows.


Next step is rolling the dough and ingredients.  If you go slow and evenly, it shouldn't be a problem.  Once rolled, it should look something like this.


Now is when you place that beautiful dough into the oven.  The pre-made bread loaves say to bake them for 25 minutes.  However, based on your oven, it can be shorter or longer than that.  This is how my dough looked after 17 minutes.


Cut it into slices and enjoy!  I sure know I did!  Though I think I may want to add some cinnamon on the next attempt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment